Monday, May 24, 2010

You're going to be Grandparents Mom and Dad!

Today was a very emotional roller coaster type of day. Yesterday, Sunday the 23rd I started bleeding a bit heavier again. I've been spotting a bit here and there all week so I've been trying to take it as easy as possible. I spent all day yesterday in bed after calling Joy. She was a bit more concerned because there was a small blood clot yesterday that I passed. She suggested we move the ultrasound scheduled for Tuesday up to Monday (today) just to be on the safe side. After getting off the phone with her and Dan helping me to get calmed down, he put me back to bed and made me some more tea and also made me one of the Betty Crocker Warm Delight Desserts that I had been craving but hadn't yet tried yet. That actually tasted really good and was the first thing that I've had since being pregnant that I really truly enjoyed. I'm going to have to be careful about eating too many sweets! I don't want to gain too much weight during my pregnancy.

At 8:00 this morning I called to see when I could come in for the ultrasound. They had an opening at 9:15 so we took that appointment. We still got there a good 15 minutes early to try and get in as soon as possible, but we still ended up waiting till almost 9:20 to see the ultrasound technician. She brought us to the back and confirmed my last menstrual cycle. She told us that there was a chance with the baby still being so small that we may not see much if anything today and not to worry as that happens quite often. As soon as she started the ultrasound she was able to see the gestational sac which she said was a very good sign. Now we just had to wait for her to locate the embryo. It seemed like an eternity before she found any sign of the embryo, but in all reality it was probably about 5-10 minutes.

I think now that I have seen my baby on an ultrasound I can honestly say that I now understand why pregnancy is such an emotional time for parents to be. Seeing that little tiny diamond ring size dot and knowing that is going to be our baby was the biggest moment of my life. It finally set in for both of us that we were going to be parents! As soon as the technician left the room for me to get dressed, Dan leaned over and kissed me and told me how much he loved me.

After we got done with that appointment we went to a celebratory breakfast at IHOP. Dan finally was feeling optimistic enough to call his best friend Shannon who was let into the small circle of secrecy. Next it was off to the store to buy groceries for tonight's dinner where we would make the big announcement to mom and dad. We decided to go with a "baby" theme. We got baby carrots, baby corn, baby potatoes, baby greens and decided to make Dan's ribs since he uses Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. I also invited my best friend Nikki and her husband over to share in the good news.

Dinner was a bit nerve racking but luckily the conversation at first centered around both my parents and Nikki and Bruce moving and they were so caught up in that conversation that I was able to relax some. It was funny that nobody really noticed the theme to dinner. We even used our nice china for the occasion. Right after dinner we brought out the cake that we had purchased that said congratulations on it. At the same time I handed my dad an "early" father's day card. On the front of the card it said "#1 greatest dad and #1 greatest grandpa..." and on the inside of the card I put one of the first sonogram pictures in it. He read the card outloud and then took a look at the sonogram and started to stutter asking what it was (I think he knew he just wanted to pull my mom along). I told him to pass it to mom and that she would know what it was. Just as she did, Dan winked at Nikki and she figured it out and almost started to cry. Mom took the card and it took less than a second to figure it out. To really see their reaction, here's the link to the Youtube video:

No comments: